Note: This is a post from Adam Baker, Man Vs. Debt’s founder.
Early on here, Courtney and I decided to publicly expose the details of our finances!
Since starting our financial turnaround, we’ve:
- Paid off just over $18,000 in consumer debt (all our non-student loan debt).
- Paid off $10,500 on our student loan balances.
- Grown our assets by over $28,000 (all paid off).
- Launched and built Man Vs. Debt from scratch.
- Spent just under a year in Australia, New Zealand, and Thailand.
- Spent most of another year RVing around the United States.
- Spent about a year in Asheville, N.C.
- Traveled around the U.S. for much of another year filming, editing and promoting a feature-length documentary.
- Settled (at least for now) in Portland, Oregon.
Where do we stand?
With the transition to some different business ventures that are partnerships rather than “just ours,” as well as the addition of full-time team members to Man vs. Debt, we’ve at least temporarily stopped the monthly transparency reports. You can read more about things at “Chapter 5: Asheville and the Evolution of Man vs. Debt.” One thing that hasn’t changed: We remain committed to our motto of Sell Your Crap. Pay Off Your Debt. Do What You Love.
In fact, we believe in the concept so much that our community manager, Joan, is now sharing her family’s OWN monthly transparency reports. Check those out here!
What it Cost Us to RV Around the Country:
In early 2011, we toured the U.S. via our new-to-us RV and listed all of the expenses related to our travels in our monthly financial transparency reports.
- April 2011: April Transparency Report
- March 2011: March Transparency Report
- February 2011: February Transparency Report
- January 2011: January Transparency Report
How Much Income Man Vs. Debt Generates:
In 2010, we began directly monetizing Man Vs. Debt with the launch of our first guide, Unautomate Your Finances. Since then, we’ve shared full breakdowns of all the income and expenses of this blog through monthly detailed reports.
- April 2011: April Transparency Report: Income, Expenses & Future Plans
- March 2011: March Transparency Report: Why I’m investing so much in You vs. Debt
- February 2011: February Transparency Report: Investing Back…
- January 2011: January Transparency: Income, Expenses, and RV Cost…
- December 2010: I Kicked Ass in 2010… Watch Me Do It Again in 2011…
- November 2010: Hit the Ground Running – November Income Report
- October 2010: Learning to Leap: October’s Income, New Site Updates, and…
- September 2010: How to Suck at Launching a Product
- August 2010: July/August Income Report!
- July 2010: July/August Income Report!
- June 2010: June’s Income and July’s Business Update!
- May 2010: May’s Income and June’s Business Update!
- April 2010: April’s Income and May’s Business Update!
- March 2010: Unautomate Your Finances Reviews, Praise, & Results
Old updates involving our family budget (2009):
- Budgeting Ups and Downs: October and Beyond
- I’m a Big, Fat Hypocrite: Our Updated War on Debt
- May’s Budget Recap, Net Worth Update, & Future Battle Plans
- April’s Budget Recap, Net Worth Update, & Future Battle Plans
- We Did It!: Two Full Months To Fund Australia
- Declaration of War on Debt!
- My Debt-Recon And Current Battle Plans
Share your thoughts!