We’re glad you’re here!
Our message is simple: The first step to living a life of passion and purpose is to remove the barriers that hold you back.
At Man Vs. Debt, we hope that by sharing a transparent and honest account of our own journeys to remove barriers – primarily our debt and excess clutter – we can empower and inspire others who find themselves on similar paths.
Our motto (and the tagline of this community) is:
Sell Your Crap… Pay Off Your Debt… Do What You Love! For us, the first two parts of this motto have allowed us to more passionately pursue the third.
I’m Dave. Like many of you, I loved the mission of Man Vs. Debt and have followed its journey for many years. I reached out to Baker multiple times over the years as I wanted to carry on the Man Vs. Debt mission. Thankfully, he responded. 🙂
One of the things that captivated me about the Man Vs. Debt mission was the fact that the content was so unbiased. Too often I found that personal finance websites try to sell you a product or a service. I loved how Man Vs. Debt provided great content that really engaged the community to sell their crap, pay off debt and do what they love.
1. I am a Christian and am happily married to my bride, Renee for 10 years
2. We have 4 daughters 7 and under.
3. I decided to quit my bay area job to start a company; I did not have a salary for 2 years.
4. I hate debt. My family had debt growing up, and I saw how stressful it was for my parents.
5. I worked at Google in Mountain View. It was like getting paid to be on a playground.
6. I lived in East Africa for a little over a year helping out the non-profit, TechnoServe.
We’ve had the great fortune of being featured at and covered on:
New? Start Here!
Selling Your Crap:
- An Idiot’s Guide to Living With 417 Things
- Craigslist: Sell Your Item in 24 Hours or Less
- Jenny’s Story: How I Paid Off $15,000 in Nine Months by Selling My ‘Stuff’ on eBay
- See more posts and resources for selling your crap here
Paying Off Your Debt:
- 24 Quick Actions You Can Do Today That Can Change Your Financial Life Forever
- How to Slash Your Bills: 4 Steps to Paying Less Each Month
- Get Your Head Out of the Sand: 5 Steps to Facing What You Owe
- See more posts and resources for paying off your debt here
Doing What You Love:
- Adam Baker’s TEDx Talk: Sell Your Crap, Pay Off Your Debt, Do What You Love
- 4 Questions That Changed How I View Work and Life
- The Architect’s Guide to Breaking Free of Your Matrix
- See more posts and resources for doing what you love here
- Do You Really Need That Master’s Degree?
- Bend Over … I’ll Show You Where You Can Stick Your ‘Rewards’
- Renting: The New American Dream
- 6 Reasons We Chose NOT to Use Debt Settlement, Debt Consolidation or Bankruptcy to Pay Off Our Debt
- Are 401(k) and 529 Plans a Good Idea When You’re in Debt?
Other Fun Posts:
- 5 Books That Changed My Life
- 92 Quotes About Debt That’ll Make You Think, Laugh, & Tweet!
- Travel Hacking for Noobs: How We Save Hundreds on Airfare, Get Free Lodging & Make Money Overseas
- Tyler Durden’s Guide to Personal Finance
How You Can Participate in Our Community
- Enter your email in the form at the top right of this page to receive free updates of new content. Alternatively, you can subscribe to updates via RSS.
- Follow us on Twitter at @ManVsDebt (tweets by Joan).
- Like ManVsDebt on Facebook!
- Check out ManVsDebt on Pinterest from some daily visual inspiration from Joan.
- E-mail Courtney @ ManVsDebt . com and Joan @ ManVsDebt . com and say hello. We respond to each email personally if we can!
Please keep in mind that those of us at Man Vs. Debt are in no way, shape, or form financial professionals. We’re simply passionate people with some experience, both positive and negative, in dealing with debt and personal finance. It’s impossible for us to know all the facts regarding your personal situation. Therefore, it would be ineffective to apply any advice or information on this site blindly. Well-intentioned financial professionals are in every community and you should consult one on any major financial decision.