Welcome to the Man Vs. Debt Community!
We’re glad you’re here!
Our message is simple: The first step to living a life of passion and purpose is to remove the barriers that hold you back.
At Man Vs. Debt, we hope that by sharing a transparent and honest account of our own journeys to remove barriers – primarily our debt and excess clutter – we can empower and inspire others who find themselves on similar paths.
Our motto (and the tagline of this community) is:
Sell Your Crap… Pay Off Your Debt… Do What You Love! For us, the first two parts of this motto have allowed us to more passionately pursue the third.
Meet Adam Baker
I’m Baker. I’m the founder of Man Vs. Debt and most importantly, a husband and father. My wife, Courtney, and our daughters Milli and Charlie, are the core of my life and my deepest passion.
I retired from Man Vs. Debt in late 2012, leaving things in the capable hands of my wife, Courtney, and our editor, Joan Concilio, who you’ll read more about below.
Meet Courtney Baker
I’m Courtney. When Adam and I started Man Vs. Debt, I became the primary travel organizer and chief crap-seller. Professionally, I’ve worked as an elementary teacher in many places (including New Zealand!). My biggest passion is photography (especially taking photos of girls, Milli and Charlie).
In 2008, after Milli was born, Adam and I decided to sell everything we owned, pay off our consumer debt, and spend a year traveling abroad as a family. We began sharing our journey publicly in early 2009 – exploring money, consumerism, clutter, travel, minimalism, and passionate entrepreneurship while building a community of like-minded people that we collectively call Man Vs. Debt.
Meet Joan Concilio
I’m Joan. I officially joined the Man Vs. Debt team in late 2011 as editor, writer and community manager, but I’ve been part of the community (or, as I describe myself, a “rabid Baker fan”) since early 2010. My big passion is being a great wife to Chris and a wonderful mother to Sarah, who’s 12, and who we homeschool.
Other things I love, in no particular order, include organization, tae kwon do, Diet Pepsi, scrapbooking, logic problems, Facebook games, sushi and Pinterest. Get to know me a little better here and follow along with my journey to pay off almost $90,000 in consumer debt here.
We’ve had the great fortune of being featured at and covered on:
New? Start Here!
Selling Your Crap:
- An Idiot’s Guide to Living With 417 Things
- Craigslist: Sell Your Item in 24 Hours or Less
- Jenny’s Story: How I Paid Off $15,000 in Nine Months by Selling My ‘Stuff’ on eBay
- See more posts and resources for selling your crap here
Paying Off Your Debt:
- 24 Quick Actions You Can Do Today That Can Change Your Financial Life Forever
- How to Slash Your Bills: 4 Steps to Paying Less Each Month
- Get Your Head Out of the Sand: 5 Steps to Facing What You Owe
- See more posts and resources for paying off your debt here
Doing What You Love:
- Adam Baker’s TEDx Talk: Sell Your Crap, Pay Off Your Debt, Do What You Love
- 4 Questions That Changed How I View Work and Life
- The Architect’s Guide to Breaking Free of Your Matrix
- See more posts and resources for doing what you love here
- Do You Really Need That Master’s Degree?
- Bend Over … I’ll Show You Where You Can Stick Your ‘Rewards’
- Renting: The New American Dream
- 6 Reasons We Chose NOT to Use Debt Settlement, Debt Consolidation or Bankruptcy to Pay Off Our Debt
- Are 401(k) and 529 Plans a Good Idea When You’re in Debt?
Other Fun Posts:
- 5 Books That Changed My Life
- 92 Quotes About Debt That’ll Make You Think, Laugh, & Tweet!
- Travel Hacking for Noobs: How We Save Hundreds on Airfare, Get Free Lodging & Make Money Overseas
- Tyler Durden’s Guide to Personal Finance
How You Can Participate in Our Community
- Enter your email in the form at the top right of this page to receive free updates of new content. Alternatively, you can subscribe to updates via RSS.
- Follow us on Twitter at @ManVsDebt (tweets by Joan).
- Like ManVsDebt on Facebook!
- Check out ManVsDebt on Pinterest from some daily visual inspiration from Joan.
- E-mail Courtney @ ManVsDebt . com and Joan @ ManVsDebt . com and say hello. We respond to each email personally if we can!
Please keep in mind that those of us at Man Vs. Debt are in no way, shape, or form financial professionals. We’re simply passionate people with some experience, both positive and negative, in dealing with debt and personal finance. It’s impossible for us to know all the facts regarding your personal situation. Therefore, it would be ineffective to apply any advice or information on this site blindly. Well-intentioned financial professionals are in every community and you should consult one on any major financial decision.