Earlier this week, I was tipped off to a creative contest that is currently being run (it started a few weeks ago – goes through January) over on ShredYourCreditCard.com.
Here’s the gist: people can create and submit a video of them destroying one of their credit cards. As an alternative, they can simply record a video explaining *why* they decided to ditch a credit card this year and cut it up on camera. Either a video resolution or a creative method of destroying the card. You choose.
After submitting, you can share your video with your friends and family and have them vote for you. The weekly video with the most votes gets $50 – not too bad. The video which finished the competition with the most total votes gets $1000 – even better!
When you submit a video, you’ll be able to list “Man Vs. Debt” on the form. I don’t receive anything, but they’ve given me a $25 gift card to send to the top video submitted by members of this community!
So that means, if only one of you takes the time to submit – you automatically win $25. If you are up for the challenge, don’t procrastinate – make it fun and be sure to let me know what you submit! If we get enough from this community, I may even share them in the future here on the site.
Note: There is a current video that is called “Man vs. Debt” that was previously submitted. I have nothing to do with that video and it is *not* from a member of this community. Boo! 🙂
I’m all for blowing up your credit cards!
For those of you that are more new around these parts, Courtney and I make an intentional choice not to use credit cards. We’ve been credit card free for nearly two years now.
If you’re interested in why – or my opinions on the matter – here are some past articles that have stirred up some passionate comments:
- Screw Robin Hood: Credit Card Rewards Take from the Poor and Give to the Rich
- Bend Over… I’ll Show You Where You Can Stick Your “Rewards”
- Yet Another 4 Reasons to Hate Credit Card Companies
- 3 Habits of Highly-Responsible Credit Card Users
- Is Your Credit Card a “Tool”… or Are You?
You up for Ditching a Credit Card this year?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Pick a credit card you hate.
- Cancel it.
- Destroy it as aggressively as possible (or be civil – your choice).
Now if you want to enter the contest on ShredYourCreditCard.com, that’s simple too.
- Tape your creative destruction OR video yourself giving why you are ditching the credit card.
- Submit it on the website above.
- Put “Man Vs. Debt” if you want a shot at the $25 for our community (I get nothing, just enables you to win).
- Encourage friends/family to vote for your video if you’d like to increase your chances (once per day max).
The most important commitment is to ditch a credit card, but while you are at it – why not tape it and try to make some cash? 🙂
How many credit cards do you own?
Could you do with one less?