Episode 3 features Benny Lewis from the fast-growing site, Fluent in 3 Months. Benny, who speaks 7 languages fluently, has spent the last 7 years of his life traveling around the world studying language and culture. We got to spend an amazing weekend together in Ko Phi Phi, Thailand a couple months ago. Follow Benny on Twitter!
Benny is one of my favorite people we met the entire time we were traveling abroad. His positive attitude and fun-loving nature is contagious. He’s optimistic, intelligent, and extremely passionate. We had such an engaging discussion (at least from my perspective) that we went on for 40 minutes! As such, I had to break down the video into two parts to preserve the High Definition beauty of Thailand.
Episode 3 (Part 1) Content Guide:
- [1:00] - Benny’s background in Engineering and Education.
- [2:25] - How Benny got started speaking languages.
- [3:45] - The single most important decision that allowed Benny to learn and speak 7 languages.
- [4:48] – More information on Fluentin3months.com and the “missions”.
- [5:30] - Why you already know 10,000-20,000 words in French.
- [6:50] - The definition of a “polyglot” and the list of languages Benny speaks fluently.
- [8:30] - How Benny has earned money to travel full-time the last 7 years.
- [14:16] - Benny’s concrete tips for me to learn Spanish in 6 months.
Episode 3 (Part 2) Content Guide:
- [0:00] - How to make time to learn languages (overcoming the time excuse).
- [2:40] - I clumsily share how I memorized a common Thai phrase…
- [3:30] - Why the academic approach to studying languages is a waste of time.
- [4:30] - Gaining confidence early. Getting to the point where “you know”.
- [8:00] - How to build momentum when you start learning a new languages.
- [12:05] - Why I read Benny’s site even without speaking multiple languages.
- [12:55] - How Benny designs and executes his “missions” with tips on goal setting.
- [17:14] - Benny’s question for the Man Vs. Debt Militia.
Benny’s question for you!
What are the reason and/or circumstances in your life that would make it EASY to learn another language?
What resources are available to you?
Let Benny know the answer to those questions below!
Note: For me, Courtney already speaks Spanish fluently (with a little sprucing up). Also, we are currently in Indiana which has a decent sized Mexican population. I could easily find influences both inside and outside my home to immerse in Spanish if I wanted!