Note: This is a post from Adam Baker, founder of Man Vs. Debt.
I still remember sitting around the kitchen table with papers scattered all around.
I still remember the white board mapping out all the core concepts we’d want to teach.
I still remember wracking my brain for which action steps would lead people to APPLY each lesson to their lives.
It’s been several years since I designed the You Vs. Debt course – and in that time we’ve run several classes through the system.
All told, students have paid down over $700,000 in debt (in just a few years)! We actually haven’t updated that in a few months, so I’m hoping it’s even more!
Joan was actually a member of the very first beta class (my test group to try out the structure) and loved it so much she stuck around writing for 2 years (call her crazy). In addition, we’ve had no less than 30 students fully complete the journey and now proudly call themselves debt-free.
But all good things must come to an end.
I’ve decided to run the class and forums one last time – and then restructure the content of the course in another project I’m considering (it’s top secret for now). This will be the final runthrough!
My goal is to make it to $1,000,000 paid off by You Vs. Debt students. (I don’t know why that sounds so cool to me… I’m a sucker for whole numbers.)
To look back at something I created and be able to point to a million dollars in debt defeated… I’ll take it!
A million dollars doesn’t change our world’s obsession with debt, but it does change dozens of families and students who’ve completely turned their finances around.
That all said, the final You Vs. Debt course is now underway.
The least you need to know about You Vs. Debt:
- It has 30 individual core lessons – and each lesson has an action designed to take an average of 15 minutes a day.
- Monday through Friday will have a new lesson – every day – for 6 weeks straight.
- Each week is themed… Mindset, Gathering the Numbers, Budgeting, Expenses, Income, and Brining it All Together.
- There is a forum where you can interact with Joan and myself – and get inspired by your classmates.
- It works well for couples to log in and do the challenges together.
- Everything is focused on the small actions. They are doable – but you NEED TO DO THEM. This is for people who will complete it.
- We don’t ignore income (like a lot of financial education) – it’s just as important as cutting expenses (actually it’s far more important).
Look, you can’t pay off your debt in 6 weeks. But you CAN set a foundation that will radically change your current path and momentum. I’ve seen it happen over and over again.
A year from now… two years from now… that’s when I hear from past students and get the emails with their success stories. It doesn’t happen overnight – but accountability, inspiration, and clear specific action path are the core steps.
And that’s exactly what we do in You Vs. Debt.
Lastly, I’m strongly considering coming back to write here about topics concerning “You After Debt”.
For me this would be concepts on money, wealth, business, investing, saving, and some other topics I really haven’t touched much on in 5+ years of writing.
Would you be interested in that?
Leave a comment and let me know if sprinkling in some of that content would help inspire and excite you as well. And if you’d like me to write more about my journey now – even if it’s not the same as it was.
More fun stuff on the horizon…