If there’s one thing we can count on, it’s that life is full of uncertainty. As such, unexpected events can have a serious impact on the financial stability of your dependants.
Without proper planning, your dependants may struggle to meet financial obligations if you die. They may face difficulties paying off debts, covering funeral costs, or maintaining the same standard of living.
That’s where having life insurance cover can be a huge help to make sure your family is looked after. Here are 5 reasons it can benefit them:
1. Can cover your funeral expenses
Funerals can be expensive, and many families find themselves burdened with the financial responsibility of planning and paying for them after the death of a loved one.
Your policy can help your family with the necessary funds to cover costs without having to worry about any financial burdens.
2. Can help pay off debts
Many of us can accumulate debts over time, whether it’s for a mortgage, car or credit card debts. When you pass away, these debts do not disappear. They become the responsibility of your family.
Owning a policy can help alleviate this burden by providing a lump sum payment to your family. As a result, it can help prevent them from struggling with payments.
3. Can protect your business or assets
If you’re the owner of a business, having a policy can provide funds to help keep it running smoothly in the event of your death. This can be especially important if you have business partners who rely on you for support.
Without it, creditors may have the ability to go after your personal assets, such as your home, possessions, or savings. But with life insurance, you can designate loved ones who will receive the payout.
4. Can provide peace of mind
We all want to make sure our family is protected when we go.
With life insurance, your beneficiaries will receive a cash lump sum upon your death. This money can help cover a range of costs, such as:
- Everyday living expenses
- Mortgage or rent
- Home maintenance
- Business commitments
- Retirement planning
By having this financial safety net in place, your loved ones can rest easy, knowing that they will be taken care of financially. It can provide them with money to cover various expenses.
5. Can provide an inheritance for your children
As parents, we want to provide for our children even after we’re gone, giving them the chance to thrive and achieve their goals. Life insurance can be able to make this possible by providing them with an inheritance.
By designating your children as recipients, they stand to receive the payout from the policy. This can be used to fund their education, pay for their wedding, or provide them with a nest egg for the future.
What type of cover do I need?
When it comes to life insurance, it’s important to determine the type of cover best suited for your circumstances. There are several types of policies available, each offering different benefits and features.
Here are some of the most popular options:
- Term Life Insurance: Provides coverage for a specific length, typically ranging from 10-30 years. It’s a good option if you have specific financial obligations that will only last for a certain period. This might include paying off a mortgage or funding your children’s education.
- Whole Life Insurance: Provides cover for your entire lifetime, as long as the premiums are paid. During the policy, both your premiums and payout value remain fixed. So you won’t have to worry about increasing costs or changes to the policy.
- Joint life insurance: Covers two individuals, typically spouses or partners, under one plan. This can be beneficial for couples who want to ensure financial security in the event of either partner’s death.
- Critical illness cover: This policy does not cover death, but what it does cover is the diagnosis of a specified critical illness. It can cover illnesses such as cancer, heart attack, or stroke. The policy will provide a lump sum payout to help cover financial obligations while you’re unable to earn.
When determining what type of cover you need, consider factors such as your age, health status, finances, and long-term goals. Remember to think about your budget and how much you can afford to pay in premiums.
It’s also recommended to consult with a financial advisor or insurance advisor. They can help guide you through the process and determine the best options for your specific situation.