Due to recent feedback I’ve gotten from fellow personal finance bloggers over e-mail and twitter, I’ve decided to formally launch the Personal Finance Blogger Weight Loss Challenge!
It is my hope that this will help bring the personal finance blogosphere together to inspire each other to take control of our bodies as well as their wallets. I know the former is much harder than the latter for me! Whether you need to lose a few pounds or 40 pounds you are more than welcome to join up!
This might also be a great opportunity for readers of the personal finance community to follow their favorite bloggers’ progress.
Requirements To Join
There are only (2) requirements!
- Own or write for a personal finance (or personal development/finance) blog or online publication.
- Commitment to e-mail me one e-mail per week with your progress. The entire e-mail can be “-4 pounds total”, etc… This should be done either on Saturday or Sunday morning. Updates will happen Sunday evenings.
How The Challenge Will Work
The challenge will start June 1st, 2009 and run through July 31st, 2009. This is 61 days.
I will break the teams up based on the goals of each member and the total number of participants. For example, each team might have 3 or 4 team members, but each will be close in their overall goal. Teams will be announced, this coming Sunday.
The team who earns the most points will be declared the winner. The winning team will be announced on this blog, as well as any blog who would like to participate. This is not a requirement.
(1) point will be awarded for each pound lost up until a participant hits their goal. If you successfully obtain your goal by the end of the challenge you will earn (5) bonus points. Each extra pound that you lose over your goal will still count, but only count for (.5) points.
Hopefully, this point system will help encourage people to push themselves, but will reward accomplishing the individual goal whether that is 2 pounds or 20 pounds.
We will not be tracking overall weight. If individual participants want to add that into the comments section of the weekly updates they can. We will just be tracking total pounds lost/gained. This challenge will work on the honor system, which judging by my interaction with the community won’t be a problem. After all it’s just a little extra boost to help us all hit our fitness goals.
How To Sign-Up
E-mail me at Baker [at] ManVsDebt [dot] com by May 31st (Sunday) at noon and let me know the following details:
- Name you’d like to be referred to
- Website or blog address for link
- Overall weigh loss goal over 61 days, starting June 1, 2009
- Pinkie-swear you’ll update me once a week with progress.
You can also feel free to leave a comment on this post, although still e-mail me. I will be sending a courtesy e-mail out every Saturday reminding people to let me know their progress. I’ll make it super easy for you ;-)!
People Who’ve Officially Entered The Challenge So Far!
- Baker from Man Vs. Debt
- Dave from Do You Dave Ramsey
- Neal Frankle from Wealth Pilgrim
- Clare from Money Energy
- Matt Jabs from Debt Free Adventure
- Jorge from Independent Minded
- MFD from My Findependence Day
- Miranda from Yielding Wealth
- Savings not Shoes from Penny Pence
- Krista from Change Jar
- Brad from Enemy of Debt
- Abigail from I Pick Up Pennies
- SavingDiva from Saving For Home
- Rachel from Porter Coaching
- Laura from Green Panda Treehouse
- Pretty Penny from My Pretty Pennies
- Linsey from Wise Bread
- John from Might Bargain Hunter
- Jessica at Penny Wise Family
- Kim from Blogging For Change
- Bob from Christian Personal Finance
- Spendthrift from Converting A Spendthrift
- Shane from Beating Broke
- Lynne from The Wiser Miser
- Josh Smith from WalletPop
- Mrs. Micah from Mrs. Micah
- Viviana from The Lean Times
- Kelly from The Centsible Life
- Dusty from Chasing The Bull
Leave any trash talk, comments, or own personal goals below! Let’s help kick each other’s butts into gear!