Today I’m proud to announce that we’ve finished our RV Wrap and can finally share my excitement for our mission and sponsor!
Back in December, after buying our new-to-us RV, I put out a call to any like-minded companies or sponsors that may want to help get the word out on the tour. Several companies and/or organizations contacted me for more details, but one among all others stood out…
We’ve joined forces with the Adaptu.com team!…
Adaptu is a brand new personal finance community with dozens and dozens of resources on everything from paying down debt to saving for retirement. One of the neatest features is the ability to pull all of your financial accounts into one single profile.
This means not only can you see, control, and manage all of your accounts in one simple snapshot – but you can instantly access additional communities of like-minded people based around your interests, lifestyle, or financial questions.
The best part? It’s free.
When Adaptu first contacted me, I was super excited. Here’s a sponsor whose values are:
- Transparency (opening up the conversation on personal finance topics)
- Bringing a fresh, exciting voice and message into the arena.
And their service is free? Bingo!
You can see why I’m pumped about having a partner that fits so firmly with our values here.
Take the Pledge!… Crush $1000 of your Debt!…
After we both realized what a great fit a partnership would be, the next item on the agenda was how to frame our fun, family road tour in a way that could help inspire others.
We wanted something simple… something nearly anyone could do… but something that would get people into action.
So we came up with a challenge. A “pledge” if you will.
As we continue to tour around the country, we’re challenging people to pay off $1000 in debt by the end of our tour.
It can be any type of debt. You can choose, but we want to encourage people to actually *take action* and get started.
We’ll have a way for people who come meet us in person to sign the “pledge” and Adaptu has set up a fantastic web page that allows people to “sign” digitally (all it takes it your first name and zip code – simple & easy).
Note: At the very least, check out the video I did for the landing page. I sound so much like a used car salesman it’s unreal! Haha, I’ll be rerecording it soon – so hop over and have a quick laugh before I replace it. 😉
It’s my hope that this simple, but fun challenge can help us grow our message and reach an audience that may be new to the personal finance journey. If you have any suggestions on how we can play off the “crushing debt” theme – let me know! I’m always up for crushing random things!
Check out the new RV wrap! (Video below)…
One of the most fun parts of this process has been helping design, apply, and wrap our RV. I wanted it to show off Man Vs. Debt in a fun, creative way without being annoying, gaudy, or plastered with my face on it.
To give you a sneak peak to the process, here’s what happened:
- First, Courtney and I took a tape measure (by hand) and measured every conceivable length, width, and depth on the entire RV. I believe it was below freezing when we did this – and I know it was snowing. I’m also positive we made at least a dozen mistakes.
- The crude measurements were sent over to Adaptu’s creative team who put them into a template and proposed the first drafts of what the RV would look like.
- Several weeks of back and forth tweaking and editing were made on the design. Each iteration being hand-sketched.
- The final hand-sketch was turned into a vector (I think?) and sent to Jay Kelly at Signs By Tomorrow in Baltimore.
- Jay worked extra – over the weekend – to print over 20 different 10 foot tall panels. I came in on Sunday to help him trim, cut, and package the panels for the installer.
- I drove the panels to Washington D.C. to a profesional installer – whom had never seen the design, was not included in the process, and talked to me for less than 30 seconds.
- I waited 3 days, closed my eyes, and prayed that somehow all of this would come together.
- It all came together. Somehow. It looks freakin’ awesome – despite my hours and hours of worrying.
I have no idea how something didn’t get messed up at one stage or another, but I’m so stoked at the final result.
Again, I owe a huge thanks to Jay Kelly from Signs By Tomorrow – who not only donated the printing, but lined up 3M to donate all the plastic for the project. He also worked overtime to secure a professional installer on short notice. I owe him big time!
In the end, we came out with this:
What do you think? Let me know below!
Once again, it’s big processes and events like this that make me realize how awesome it has to have a community of supporters online.
Sure, things were stressful – I worried too much about the outcome (as usual) – and we spent an extra month stuck in icy Baltimore working out the kinks.
But it’s done now. The RV is wrapped. We have a new mini-message to help spread. And we’ll be ramping up the miles as we drive to meet as many people as we possibly can.
This is just the start. Thanks for being on board for the ride!
And if you see a big orange RV driving next you… be sure to honk!!!! 😉
p.s. If you have an extra 5 seconds, please sign our new pledge. The more people we get to fill it out, the more we can leverage it to help the message spread. All it takes is your first name and zip. I’d really appreciate it.